Just a quick message. Your profile may say "male" right now. You can change that to female or make it unspecified. The software oddly puts it on male for default. Go to the upper right corner and click your name and then click User Control Panel. On that screen, click the profile tab and it should be the first option to change. You should see male, female, and none specified. Thanks!

New Donation Drive

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Phantom
Administrator

New Donation Drive

Post by Phantom » 20 Aug 2014, 16:24

Hey everyone!

I'm sure you all know that this board takes money to keep up every year. I've paid these costs in the past year and a quarter. We're all a part of this community and I feel we all should contribute to its continued existence. I only renewed us for 90 days of server time this past payment. We have 18 days to raise $100 for the costs in the coming year.

Let's put a small yearly donation in perspective:
$10 yearly is $0.83 per month.
$5 yearly is $0.42 per month.

I'm asking for $5 to $10 from members of our board, but any amount will help keep us here on a stable server. I will post the usernames of those who have donated if they care to be named. I understand if you want to remain anonymous, but I will still post the contribution amount without a name so you know when we've met the goal. If you would like to be named, make sure to include your username in the message when you send your donation so I know who to thank!

You can't put a price on a great community, but I think this board is worth $0.42 to $0.83 a month at the very least. For the cost of a candy bar or pack of gum every month, we can continue to host this wonderful community on paid hosting with our own domain name. This is really a test of whether or not we care about having paid hosting. If we can't raise this amount, I'll take that as an indication that unreliable free hosting somewhere else is sufficient. I've already paid my $10 towards this site for the year. We have $90 to go.

I also want to make it clear that I will not abuse your generosity. I will post a screenshot, with personal information blocked out, of how much we raise and how much our services cost. Any donation over what we need will be held in trust for future fees or immediately applied to extend our lease on the server. I will take down the donation line as soon as we've met the amount needed.

Thank you!
Phantom

Donation instructions:
  1. Go to PayPal.com and click on the send button.
  2. Enter my e-mail address exactly as it appears: phantombelchattak@gmail.com
  3. Enter the amount you'd like to donate in the currency of your choice and click send.
  4. Follow any remaining instructions to send or sign up for your account.
If you have problems donating or any other questions, send me a message and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks again!

UPDATE 08/21/2014:
Wow! We've already exceeded our goal! We've raised $146.71! This was in less than 24 hours!!! I'm honestly shocked! Absolutely incredible! I'm going to leave this open to see if anyone else wants to contribute. Maybe we can raise enough for 2 or 3 years! :ymapplause:

UPDATE 08/25/2014:
We're at $242.03! I can't say enough about the generosity of the members of our forums! Thank you! Again, I'm leaving this open for anyone else who wishes to contribute.

UPDATE 09/05/2014
Well, I just applied the donations and we are good for 2.5 years! :hooray:

I'd like to thank you all for donating to keep this board running. It was really neat seeing this happen over the course of only a few days! I guess I shouldn't have been surprised given the fact that we have such a great group of people here. All told, we generated roughly $263! Again, thank you so much! :ymhug:

See you in 2.5 years! ;)

Also, I'm going to keep the line open if anybody wishes to donate. Thank you!

Casual

Re: Donations in Support of the Forum

Post by Casual » 20 Aug 2014, 19:11

Dollars? =;
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Phantom
Administrator

Post by Phantom » 20 Aug 2014, 19:52

Casual just donated £10 which converts to $16.20! Casual, you are awesome! Thank you! :ymapplause:

tnx_404
Administrator

Post by tnx_404 » 21 Aug 2014, 02:17

I think it's a good idea and probably the best solution to keep this site ad-free but maybe we could add something like this: https://bitpay.com/create-donate

I usually have a couple of millibitcoins to spare and it's completely anonymous, so that might encourage other people to donate as well.

Phantom
Administrator

Post by Phantom » 21 Aug 2014, 03:37

tnx_404 wrote:I think it's a good idea and probably the best solution to keep this site ad-free but maybe we could add something like this: https://bitpay.com/create-donate

I usually have a couple of millibitcoins to spare and it's completely anonymous, so that might encourage other people to donate as well.
I think that's a good idea. I'll try and set something with that soon. :)

Phantom
Administrator

Post by Phantom » 21 Aug 2014, 03:54

mooglepies just donated $5! Thank you so much! :ymhug:

33CMD33

Post by 33CMD33 » 21 Aug 2014, 11:38

£10 donated last night. Hope it helps and thanks for keeping the forum up and running. :ymhug:

Phantom
Administrator

Post by Phantom » 21 Aug 2014, 13:35

33CMD33 wrote:£10 donated last night. Hope it helps and thanks for keeping the forum up and running. :ymhug:
Yes! I messaged you right after I got it! Thank you so much! Awesome! :ymhug:

Phantom
Administrator

Post by Phantom » 21 Aug 2014, 13:41

A person who wants to remain anonymous donated $40! Thank you!
A person who wants to remain anonymous donated $10! Thank you!

Wow! You know who you are. Thank you ever so much! :-o

Phantom
Administrator

Post by Phantom » 21 Aug 2014, 14:04

Quick update:

There is one person who generously donated $50!!! I wont name them until they acknowledge whether they want this or not. You know who you are. I can't thank you enough! :ymhug:

Also, for transparency, here is a screenshot of the PayPal donations. Add another $10 from myself:

As I said, I'm going to leave the donation line open. Let's see if we can get to 2 years! It's really kind of exciting to see our people power this community. :hooray: