Just a quick message. Your profile may say "male" right now. You can change that to female or make it unspecified. The software oddly puts it on male for default. Go to the upper right corner and click your name and then click User Control Panel. On that screen, click the profile tab and it should be the first option to change. You should see male, female, and none specified. Thanks!

New Donation Drive

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Casual

Re: Donations in Support of the Forum

Postby Casual » 18 Apr 2016, 15:43

Yeah, thanks so much Claire. It is really appreciated :D
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Claireburpsalot

Postby Claireburpsalot » 19 Apr 2016, 01:16

No problem guys! Happy to chip in my fair share, and I kinda feel bad that I hadn't donated before now!

Phantom
Administrator

Postby Phantom » 08 Aug 2016, 17:52

Hey everyone! It's almost that time again. I figured I'd start a bit early this time. We could really use a small donation from some of our members to keep this board running. All donations are applied to server and domain name costs. I've already donated enough for a couple months worth of server time today. If we all pitched in just a bit, we'll have this place running ad-free for many years to come. It's a small price to pay for being able to communicate with people of like mind in a great community. All donation information will be anonymous unless you wish to be named. Every little bit helps! We're all responsible for keeping this place alive! The donation instructions are at the bottom of the page. Thank you so much for any and all who donate! :ymapplause:

It currently runs roughly $121 to keep the servers up and domain name in place for a year. I'd love if we could raise enough for at least a year. We did much more last time around to my surprise, so I know how generous this forum is. Thank you again for any and all donations!

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm sure you all know that this board takes money to keep up every year. I've paid these costs in the past year and a quarter. We're all a part of this community and I feel we all should contribute to its continued existence. I only renewed us for 90 days of server time this past payment. We have 18 days to raise $100 for the costs in the coming year.

Let's put a small yearly donation in perspective:
$10 yearly is $0.83 per month.
$5 yearly is $0.42 per month.

I'm asking for $5 to $10 from members of our board, but any amount will help keep us here on a stable server. I will post the usernames of those who have donated if they care to be named. I understand if you want to remain anonymous, but I will still post the contribution amount without a name so you know when we've met the goal. If you would like to be named, make sure to include your username in the message when you send your donation so I know who to thank!

You can't put a price on a great community, but I think this board is worth $0.42 to $0.83 a month at the very least. For the cost of a candy bar or pack of gum every month, we can continue to host this wonderful community on paid hosting with our own domain name. This is really a test of whether or not we care about having paid hosting. If we can't raise this amount, I'll take that as an indication that unreliable free hosting somewhere else is sufficient. I've already paid my $10 towards this site for the year. We have $90 to go.

I also want to make it clear that I will not abuse your generosity. I will post a screenshot, with personal information blocked out, of how much we raise and how much our services cost. Any donation over what we need will be held in trust for future fees or immediately applied to extend our lease on the server. I will take down the donation line as soon as we've met the amount needed.

Thank you!
Phantom

Donation instructions:

1. Go to PayPal.com and click on the send button.
  2. Enter my e-mail address exactly as it appears: phantombelchattak@gmail.com
  3. Enter the amount you'd like to donate in the currency of your choice and click send.
  4. Follow any remaining instructions to send or sign up for your account.

If you have problems donating or any other questions, send me a message and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks again!

Phantom
Administrator

Re: New Donation Drive

Postby Phantom » 10 Aug 2016, 20:51

This is a message I received earlier today.

I also received a message from GoDaddy expressing concerns over our bandwidth usage. We all use this website and it's not always cheap keeping it up. We're going to have to upgrade here pretty soon. I figured this day would come eventually. We need help ASAP or we have to move to a free server, which is frustrating for all our users, or this place might disappear altogether. I've contributed my fair share to the continued existence of this site, as have many other users on this site, and I'm counting on our members to make sure we continue to stay alive. Again, I appreciate any and all assistance. I only ask that you give what you can afford.

Thank you!

Donation instructions:

1. Go to PayPal.com and click on the send button.
  2. Enter my e-mail address exactly as it appears: phantombelchattak@gmail.com
  3. Enter the amount you'd like to donate in the currency of your choice and click send.
  4. Follow any remaining instructions to send or sign up for your account.

If you have problems donating or any other questions, send me a message and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks again!

Casual

Postby Casual » 10 Aug 2016, 21:33

How much are we looking for in total? I sent £10 over just now but will send more by the end of the week if we need it.

Phantom
Administrator

Postby Phantom » 10 Aug 2016, 22:15

Casual wrote:How much are we looking for in total? I sent £10 over just now but will send more by the end of the week if we need it.

We need another $140 and we're good until September of 2017 and possibly more if I can apply some rebates. You've already given quite a few times, Gary. I truly appreciate it! I don't ever want to abuse anyone's generosity.

Phantom
Administrator

Postby Phantom » 18 Aug 2016, 20:20

Here is a simpler method for donations.
Donation Link

You can always click on the link in my signature as well. Thank you for all your donations!

Phantom
Administrator

Postby Phantom » 19 Aug 2016, 07:19

I wanted to give a huge thank you to all those who donated. You all honestly amaze me with your generosity. I received some heartfelt messages from those who appreciate what the forums provides. That made my day. Don't forget to thank Q and tnx_404 who started and had this place running from the very beginning. Also, let's show some appreciation for the mods who keep this place clean and tidy and contribute in other ways that you don't always see. We'll all try and keep this place running for many years to come.

Each and every dollar donated was put directly towards our server costs and domain name registration early this morning. With some rebates applied for staying with GoDaddy, all our donations, and a little bit extra, here is where we stand:

The server is good until January 8th, 2018.
The domain is good until June 3rd, 2018.

Absolutely awesome!

We met our goal, but I will leave the donation link up at the top of the page near the Quick Links button for those who still wish to donate, as I've had several people who asked. You can also click the Forum Donations link in my signature and it will take you to the same page.

Thank you all again! You don't know how much it's appreciated! You keep the lights on for everyone! :ymapplause:

Casual

Postby Casual » 19 Aug 2016, 18:08

Thanks everyone who contributed :-BD

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”