Question for grad students

Talk about anything here that doesn't fit into the other forums.
MackZack

Question for grad students

Post by MackZack » 17 Sep 2018, 15:02

Do you think grad students tend to drink more/do harder drugs than when they were in college?

It could just be because I have a fetish for girls getting drunk or high, so I may remember these stories more - but in the past several years after graduating from college, I've run into many grad students who have gone hardcore in their grad school life. Like - snorting cocaine and shit.

1. A year after we graduated from college, I ran into my first roommate at a party hosted by a mutual friend. He was talking about being a grad student in Drexel. He said that in the very first party he went to with his classsmates, he opened the door and right there people were snorting a line of cocaine on a table. He was like "And you thought college was crazy? I didn't think people did this in grad school."

2. This girl in pharmacy school does cocaine. I'm not supposed to know though. She was best friends with my ex and we visited her in her apartment in another state. They went to the bathroom and after they left, they seemed to have had a disagreement. My ex then told me in private that her friend was snorting cocaine in the bathroom and my ex didn't agree with that.

3. This other girl used to go to grad school but I think she dropped out (we don't really talk anymore). While she was in grad school, I just noticed more passing comments about getting wasted and drinking lots of wine.

My point is - I'm wondering if grad school life is so stressful that students tend to drink or do drugs way more intensely. Maybe not necessarily frequently - like college used to be with a party every weekend - but definitely more intense. I figured maybe grad students tend to do cocaine in order to focus? Get wired?

I never went to grad school. I thought about it but ended up working right away after college graduation. I was lucky to have found a job so quickly. At the same time though, my inner fetish wishes I checked out grad school to see all these girls get really fucked up ahaha.

subliminal91

Re: Question for grad students

Post by subliminal91 » 28 Sep 2018, 21:27

I'm a graduate student. Maybe it's just where I'm at, but I don't know of anyone in my program who parties like that. It's definitely not the norm. I will say, though, that the one time in college I encountered cocaine was at a party hosted by ... grad students. I think it's a pretty common trope or stereotype, because your post is definitely not the first I've heard about grad school and drug/alcohol abuse. It makes sense—grad school is unbelievably demanding and (at least in the US in my field) your chances of landing a job in your field aren't even that great!

himynameis

Post by himynameis » 01 Oct 2018, 02:28

I'm a PhD student currently recovering from an addiction to weed. Not sure there's any connection between the two, though. I recently learned that one of my colleagues does ecstasy... it was surprising, and a bit worrisome.

subliminal91

Post by subliminal91 » 01 Oct 2018, 02:49

himynameis wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 02:28
I'm a PhD student currently recovering from an addiction to weed. Not sure there's any connection between the two, though. I recently learned that one of my colleagues does ecstasy... it was surprising, and a bit worrisome.
Nice to see other grads here. I used to have a problematic pot habit as well. Best to you in your recovery.
I think many grad students feel senses of hopelessness about the future and inadequacy in the present. Although research is often a solitary pursuit you can't help but notice what your peers are doing, wonder if they're doing it better than you, and since academic jobs are scarce you might feel a sense of competition with your peers. Plus, it's work hard play hard for many folks.

socraticquest

Post by socraticquest » 02 Nov 2018, 20:59

Everyone in my Ph.D office (Glasgow, UK, chemistry) lived a fairly dull life.