Just a quick message. Your profile may say "male" right now. You can change that to female or make it unspecified. The software oddly puts it on male for default. Go to the upper right corner and click your name and then click User Control Panel. On that screen, click the profile tab and it should be the first option to change. You should see male, female, and none specified. Thanks!

Drinking ether makes you really gassy, apparently

Accidental burping, random burps and embarrassment.
Lascivious Lord

Drinking ether makes you really gassy, apparently

Post by Lascivious Lord » 29 Sep 2017, 16:23

By total chance, I came across this history lesson about the Irish Ether Drinking Craze. The entire story is here:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ng-craze-0

Long story short, instead of alcohol, people in Ireland drank ether, and it was a fad that started around 1845. Its effects were intense but short. It was cheap, quick and didn't even give you a hangover. The final paragraph though is what peaked my interest:

"Plus, it makes you drool like a Saint Bernard dog on a hot summer day, not to mention stimulating truly monumental burps and farts. These aren't normal emissions-they are laden with highly flammable ether vapors. You can imagine what happened when an ether drinker would light up a pipe and belch or sit down by an open fire and break wind. Severe burns at either end of the alimentary canal were a common hazard."

I read up more on the wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ether_addiction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Apparently it was also popular in Eastern Europe.

I'm concerned about the health effects though. I want to try to find as many official sources as I can on the health effects, because it's supposedly an extremely volatile liquid. Like the article said, you should never smoke or be near fire after you drink it. It turns into gas immediately when it settles in your stomach. In extreme cases, it could rupture your stomach wall, so the wiki says but there's a citation needed on that. Naturally, you'd dilute it.

Now. . .I work in a lab.

I MAY have diethyl ether (that's specifically the form it's drunken in) lying around. If not - I could even make some, but I would need to find out EXACTLY how they did it. Naturally, I want to be as cautious as possible. The Psychology Today article mentions that it was created from sulfuric acid and alcohol - but I'm not going to just mash the two together. There has to be more to the procedure. I won't even try anything until I'm absolutely sure it would be okay.

I wonder if by any chance anyone has heard of this or even tried it. I thought about looking up videos on YouTube but there aren't many. Most people huff it or sniff it instead.

I just found another variation that is probably safer, which simply requires one part diethly ether with three parts alcohol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_spirit_of_ether

daemon

Re: Drinking ether makes you really gassy, apparently

Post by daemon » 04 Oct 2017, 00:37

MAN, you just gave me an idea!
If ether causes brps and fazrts because of it´s volatility hence the burps being flamable (it´s almost pure ether) it means that high volatile substances may have the same effect SO, I´ll make a quick serch for substances with high volatility or, at least, having a really low boilling temperature!
Great find! :D
My mega account: creanocturna@gmail.com
My new mega account: creatura_666@yahoo.com.br

SloopA

Post by SloopA » 06 Oct 2017, 00:15

I probably wouldn't do it, but Daemon does bring up an interesting point. It would be rather intriguing to find out what drinks, probably out of alcoholic beverages, are the most volatile and safe. Or how to make a drink more volatile. Other than that compound spirits of ether I doubt any distributed drinks are mixed with ether but this is an interesting look.

daemon

Post by daemon » 09 Oct 2017, 23:57

Here in Brazil, there was, for a little time (2007 to 2013 I think), a soda pop from "guaraná" (a local fruit) wich had a chemical effect of cooling the mouth (i cant even grasp the chemistry behind this) but it didn´t stick for long and it´s now gone!

a link about the fruit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarana
a link of the beverage: http://www.novidadediaria.com.br/wp-con ... ica-13.jpg
My mega account: creanocturna@gmail.com
My new mega account: creatura_666@yahoo.com.br

basicbirdwatcher

Post by basicbirdwatcher » 11 Oct 2017, 16:43

Boiling point of ether = 34.6 °C

Human body temp = 37 °C

according to an old chemistry textbook on google:

'vapours occupy more space than the substances from which they were produced. In passing into vapour, ether expands 443 times its volume.'

Sounds a lot like a recipe for truly monumental burps if you're willing to drink something that is now generally classified as 'toxic if swallowed'! :pissedoff:

SpasticSpecter154

Post by SpasticSpecter154 » 11 Oct 2017, 17:40

Someone's probably insane enough to do it.

AnonymousHacker

Post by AnonymousHacker » 25 Oct 2017, 00:09

basicbirdwatcher wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 16:43
Sounds a lot like a recipe for truly monumental burps if you're willing to drink something that is now generally classified as 'toxic if swallowed'!
Woah, that sounds awesome.