Just a quick message. Your profile may say "male" right now. You can change that to female or make it unspecified. The software oddly puts it on male for default. Go to the upper right corner and click your name and then click User Control Panel. On that screen, click the profile tab and it should be the first option to change. You should see male, female, and none specified. Thanks!

The BFF is NOT closing down [update]

Check in here periodically for site updates and information.
Spectre

Re: The BFF is closing down

Post by Spectre » 09 Jun 2011, 16:02

That sucks, surely there is a way to save it :(

Q
Administrator

Post by Q » 09 Jun 2011, 16:07

Even if we were to raise the funds (appreciated as that would be), I still wouldn't have enough time to admin it properly. The site doesn't have to die by any means, we just need someone else to run it.

If you're wondering if you could do it yourself, it's probably not as difficult as you might think. The hardest things you need to be able to deal with really are things like IP addresses and some basic knowledge of HTML/PHP/CSS.

And yeah, I'll save the database first so that nothing is lost.

Edit: Oh, and regarding the cost, it's about $10 a month.

tnx_404
Administrator

Post by tnx_404 » 09 Jun 2011, 16:57

10$ a month? I'm sure that we'll be able to raise that amount :D
Regarding the administration, I don't think it'll be a problem.

spectre180

Post by spectre180 » 09 Jun 2011, 21:41

Okay so we need someone to be the new administrator.
We'll need a way to donate money and a destination of that money.
And we'll need some people and a way to contact advertisers for the site.

Belcherno1

Post by Belcherno1 » 09 Jun 2011, 22:10

Q wrote:Even if we were to raise the funds (appreciated as that would be), I still wouldn't have enough time to admin it properly. The site doesn't have to die by any means, we just need someone else to run it.

If you're wondering if you could do it yourself, it's probably not as difficult as you might think. The hardest things you need to be able to deal with really are things like IP addresses and some basic knowledge of HTML/PHP/CSS.

And yeah, I'll save the database first so that nothing is lost.

Edit: Oh, and regarding the cost, it's about $10 a month.
Exactly what is it that you need to know about IP addresses and coding?

pu_sh_it

Post by pu_sh_it » 09 Jun 2011, 22:18

Should we make a shortlist of people with the required coding experience, then maybe vote for the admin out of them? I couldn't do the scripting or anything, but I'll donate my fair share.
My avatar: Mistress Rouge is a champion, and you're going to hear her roar!

Guys, when you're responding to a post directly above your's, can you please quote like "^" rather than directly quoting the entire thing? Looks much nicer and tidier, thanks :)

Casual

Post by Casual » 09 Jun 2011, 22:53

pu_sh_it wrote:Should we make a shortlist of people with the required coding experience, then maybe vote for the admin out of them? I couldn't do the scripting or anything, but I'll donate my fair share.
You can't just vote the admin, the person has to be willing to sacrifice the time to manage the forums, not just have the ability to. Eric (phantom) is the ideal person, but you can bet he hasn't got the time to do it.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

tnx_404
Administrator

Post by tnx_404 » 09 Jun 2011, 23:06

Belcherno1 wrote:Exactly what is it that you need to know about IP addresses and coding?
Maybe to be able to ban people/ranges effectively and regarding the scripting, I think it's because of phpbb mods. As far as I know there's no module system that makes it possible to add specific functions they have to be implemented in the script.
wbacasual wrote:You can't just vote the admin, the person has to be willing to sacrifice the time to manage the forums, not just have the ability to. Eric (phantom) is the ideal person, but you can bet he hasn't got the time to do it.
That's exactly what I thought. PBA would be perfect since he's already a mod and a longtime member, but he's most likely too busy.

Arth

Post by Arth » 10 Jun 2011, 00:35

Oh no man, that's awful...
Hey guys, I'd like every1 to post your email here, cuz we'll never know when we're gonna talk together again!
Mine's
Last edited by Arth on 18 Aug 2016, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Q
Administrator

Post by Q » 10 Jun 2011, 01:19

tnx_404 wrote: Maybe to be able to ban people/ranges effectively and regarding the scripting, I think it's because of phpbb mods. As far as I know there's no module system that makes it possible to add specific functions they have to be implemented in the script.
That's pretty much it. You don't have to do any coding, but you have to know the basics of how it works. There is an auto-mod thing, but as with anything 'auto', there are always inevitably going to be problems and you'll have to fall back to reading the actual PHP. You not interested in the position, tnx?