Big Changes (Important)

Check in here periodically for site updates and information.
Umbris

Big Changes (Important)

Post by Umbris » 03 Jun 2019, 00:53

Hello everyone.

We are going to be moving this site to a new platform within the next couple of months. The new forums are slicker, easier to manage, and all in all a lot of fun. The software this site runs on, phpBB, has many issues which may not be obvious to regular users. I'm sure some of you have been annoyed at the way the quoting system works though, or the clunky private messaging system - or just the dated look and feel of everything. Behind the scenes, updating phpBB is a nightmare.

The new website is currently online but private while we test different things and make sure it's ready for production use. I will be inviting some members to come and sign up, and eventually the site will be open to all. (Please don't beg me for an invite: I will ignore it.)

Here's the important part, the TL;DR: this site's posts and users will not be migrated to the new site. phpBB's database is very buggy to import to a more modern platform and I wouldn't want to risk the stability of the new site just to save some posts which are years old. In addition, this site has a large number of "dormant" users who haven't logged in for years and probably never will.

So this is a fresh start with new and simpler rules, and better organisation. If there are posts or private messages you want to have access to once the site switches over, start saving those now. We are working on creating a downloadable archive of this site, but that too can be buggy, so my advice is to manually keep a copy of anything you'll want after the transition, just in case.

Apologies for the lengthy post but there's a lot to talk about! I'll post more details as we get closer to the switch. Cheers.
Message me on Telegram: https://t.me/xumbris
Message me on Riot: @Umbris:matrix.org

jeanmarcbar

Re: Big Changes (Important)

Post by jeanmarcbar » 04 Jun 2019, 02:22

Thanks for all this forum is trully amazing and i hope your new website will have successfull as this one.

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » 04 Jun 2019, 03:17

We really appreciate everything you guys do. I’m sure it’s more work than most of us realize. Thanks for staying on top of things and helping us optimize our collaboration.

Umbris

Post by Umbris » 04 Jun 2019, 04:45

jeanmarcbar wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 02:22
Thanks for all this forum is trully amazing and i hope your new website will have successfull as this one.
Thank you! Our hope is it will be even better.
SoaringEagle wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 03:17
We really appreciate everything you guys do. I’m sure it’s more work than most of us realize. Thanks for staying on top of things and helping us optimize our collaboration.
No worries at all. Glad you're here for the journey.
Message me on Telegram: https://t.me/xumbris
Message me on Riot: @Umbris:matrix.org

Stormers1972

Post by Stormers1972 » 06 Jun 2019, 14:56

As long as a site exists where we can share experiences, stories, and links to clips then I'm happy.

Thanks for supporting us all over the years.

justin99000

Post by justin99000 » 07 Jun 2019, 09:16

It's been a wild ride, started as a lurker at 12 around puberty scared to admit I liked something like this and 13 years later here we are memories, friends and (mostly) good experiences along the way. Here's hoping the new site prospers and does better where this one didn't. Thanks for the update man
Writer, Photographer, Gamer, Video Game Designer (newbie), guitar and piano player.

stringz44

Post by stringz44 » 07 Jun 2019, 18:20

well this sounds like a good change. it is pretty outdated looking.

Rosy Jade Maiden

Post by Rosy Jade Maiden » 09 Jun 2019, 04:40

Cool! I'm happy to help out with changes any way I can. :ymhug:

TsukiCDS

Post by TsukiCDS » 09 Jun 2019, 13:08

Thanks for the heads up. Here's to the future

guruofgass

Post by guruofgass » 12 Jun 2019, 12:40

Do you maybe have an estimate as to when the new site will be going live or this one shutting down? Will there be a cross-over period?
Cause I'm just wondering how much time there'd be to save stuff from this site before its gone...... :-?

I take it that the hosting of this site won't continue much longer after the new one is up and running, which is why posts need to be saved?

And is it ok to repost your message on other parts of the forum, just so that everyone is aware? I don't check the "announcements" part all that often!